noun[often as modifier]
- A gun with an unrifled barrel: smooth-bore musketsMore example sentences
- The ‘Eastern war’, as the Crimean war was known in Russia, showed the backwardness of the Russian army, still equipped with smooth-bore muskets, compared with the French and British who had the new Minié rifle.
- The V-3 long-range gun, code-named by the Germans Hochdruck pumpe (high-pressure pump) or Fleisigges Leichen, was a long-range smooth-bore gun, designed to fire fin-stabilized shells.
- The ‘screw guns’ to which Kipling refers were rifled artillery pieces with longer range and more penetrating power than the older smooth-bore guns.
More definitions of smooth-boreDefinition of smooth-bore in:
- The US English dictionary