A small yellowish-brown smooth-skinned newt that is widely distributed throughout Europe and western Asia.
- Triturus vulgaris, family Salamandridae
More example sentences
- The great crested newt is significantly larger than the smooth newt and has warty rather than velvety skin.
- The smooth newt is typically 80-110 mm long, including its tail, and is often mistaken for a lizard.
- When on land smooth newts tend to feed on insects, worms and slugs by projecting their tongues to catch prey.
More definitions of smooth newtDefinition of smooth newt in:
- The US English dictionary