Definition of smooth tongue in English:
The ability or tendency to use insincere flattery or persuasion: your smooth tongue could even turn your mistakes to your advantage
More example sentences
- ‘You look stunning, Kathleen,’ Brett said with a smile, maintaining his smooth tongue from his womanizing days and his job as a criminal lawyer.
- While Klink senses that his American counterpart isn't as helpful as he seems, Hogan manages to assuage his concerns with a smooth tongue, playing to Klink's ego and fears.
- There may be, indeed, a smooth tongue, where there is a false heart.
- Example sentences
- You don't regard yourself as a smooth-tongued rogue but I do.
- More plausible and quick-witted was a smooth-tongued operator who employed the alias ‘Ethelbert Louis Hector Alfred, Baron de Richemont’.
- Deliciously charming or incredibly irritating, depending on your point of view, he is always ready with smooth-tongued flattery, eyes innocently beaming behind his spectacles.
Definition of smooth tongue in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan