The ability or tendency to use insincere flattery or persuasion: your smooth tongue could even turn your mistakes to your advantage
More example sentences
- ‘You look stunning, Kathleen,’ Brett said with a smile, maintaining his smooth tongue from his womanizing days and his job as a criminal lawyer.
- While Klink senses that his American counterpart isn't as helpful as he seems, Hogan manages to assuage his concerns with a smooth tongue, playing to Klink's ego and fears.
- There may be, indeed, a smooth tongue, where there is a false heart.
- Example sentences
- You don't regard yourself as a smooth-tongued rogue but I do.
- More plausible and quick-witted was a smooth-tongued operator who employed the alias ‘Ethelbert Louis Hector Alfred, Baron de Richemont’.
- Deliciously charming or incredibly irritating, depending on your point of view, he is always ready with smooth-tongued flattery, eyes innocently beaming behind his spectacles.
Definition of smooth tongue in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.