Definition of smorgasbord in English:
1A range of open sandwiches and delicacies served as hors d’oeuvres or a buffet.
- With hosts Kannikar and Ib Ottesen supplying a Danish smorgasbord which included Norwegian salmon and Japanese Sashimi, it was certainly an international gathering.
- We were invited for one of Bjarne's famous Saturday afternoon smorgasbords - a cosmopolitan late lunch, set around a large circular table, with the food in the centre on a carousel, Chinese banquet style.
- Buffet costs range between $2.99 for some breakfast specials to $14.99 for some seafood-heavy smorgasbords.
1.1A wide range of something; a variety: the album is a smorgasbord of different musical styles
More example sentences
- This concert will feature an exciting smorgasbord of musical styles, ranging from gospel, jazz and folk to sacred and classical arrangements, both serious and funny.
- The producers claim that the 52-episode programme will present a variety of Malayalam, Hindi and Tamil songs befitting a smorgasbord of emotions.
- I enjoyed the mix of articles in this first issue - it was a potpourri or smorgasbord of interesting material.
Swedish, from smörgås '(slice of) bread and butter' (from smör 'butter' + gås 'goose, lump of butter') + bord 'table'.
Definition of smorgasbord in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan