Definition of snaffle in English:
1 (also snaffle bit) (On a bridle) a simple bit, typically a jointed one, used with a single set of reins.
- To learn the two track maneuver, use a martingale or a snaffle bit with draw reins to encourage the horse to flex through the poll and keep his head still.
- If she got a little strung out, or she leaned a little on the snaffle bit, I simply applied a half-halt as if I was aboard a hunter or dressage horse and I had my perfect little jog.
- Only after the horse and human have progressed beyond the teaching phase the snaffle bit is introduced.
1.1 (also snaffle bridle) A bridle with a snaffle bit.
- The horse should be fitted with a snaffle bridle, cavesson, roller or saddle, side reins and protection on all four legs, either boots or securely fitted bandages.
- These horsemen rode with short stirrups, in snaffle bridles with a loose rein, in an uncollected, free forward manner that was the exact opposite of the extreme collection of the Continental riding school, with its emphasis on curb bits.
- Notice the preponderance of single-rein snaffle bridles.
verb[with object] British informal Back to top
Take (something) for oneself, typically quickly or without permission: shall we snaffle some of Bernard’s sherry?
More example sentences
- If anyone has forgotten to pack their white shirt - a not uncommon occurrence, one member of the orchestra says - they have quickly snaffled a replacement.
- More than half the tickets were quickly snaffled by Lions supporters.
- But what about Jeremy Paxman's book, Friends in High Places, that showed the best jobs are snaffled by those from public schools and elite universities?
informal walk off/away with, run away/off with, swipe, nab, rip off, lift, ‘liberate’, ‘borrow’, filch, snitch
Australian informal snavel
West Indian informal tief
archaic crib, hook
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia