Definition of snakehead in English:
1A freshwater fish with a broad, heavily scaled head and a long cylindrical body, native to tropical Africa and Asia.
- Family Channidae: several genera and species
- Besides figuring out a way to eliminate the snakeheads from the Crofton pond, the group is likely to recommend searching for snakeheads in other freshwater bodies.
- The snakehead is native to the Yangtze River region of China and is capable of wiping out all the species of one pond and moving on its belly and fins to the next pond.
- The aquarium industry is already recognized as a source of freshwater invasive species such as the snakehead.
2A member of a Chinese criminal network chiefly engaged in smuggling illegal immigrants to the West.
[translation of Chinese shétóu]
- A police spokesman said targeting snakeheads is key to obstructing illegal immigration.
- Recently, snakeheads have not used large fishing vessels as a means of transporting their cargo, favoring instead small containers that can hold less than 10 people.
- They're filthy, they rarely, if ever, have any lifesaving equipment, no life vests, they frequently run out of water and food and migrants are abused by the snakeheads acting as enforcers on these boats.
Definition of snakehead in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan