Definition of snapper in English:
1A marine fish that is typically reddish and is valued as food, in particular:
- ● A fish of a widespread tropical family (Lutjanidae, the snapper family), which snaps its toothed jaws. See also red snapper ● A fish of Australasian coastal waters (Chrysophrys auratus, family Sparidae).
- Common fish which can give ciguatera fish poisoning include groupers, barracudas, snappers, and mackerel.
- Small hard-skinned fish such as snappers, grouper, breams and hind should be gutted and scaled on capture and kept in slurry.
- This is a fantastic summer main course, served with a crunchy green salad on the side. Use a firm, flaky white fish such as snapper, cod or sea bass.
3British informal A photographer: tabloid snappers were crowding the stage door
More example sentences
- Digital cameras have revolutionised the world of photography, but many snappers are shocked when they realise just how much it costs to print those fabulous pictures of little Emily.
- Five keen snappers received free photography tuition from a professional in a project supported by the Greater Woolwich neighbourhood renewal panel.
- In the second show of Nunnnington Hall's spring and summer programme, the iconic photography of British snapper Terry O'Neill will be on view from May 1 to June 25.
4A paper cracker, or the part of a cracker that makes a bang.
- Insert the snapper, party favours and confetti or decorative shred into the roll. Make sure the ends of the snapper extend beyond the end of the cracker.
- Insert pull-snapper so that the ends protrude equally from the ends of the tube.
5 American Football A centre player.
- He is one of the league's best, and coach Bill Cowher doesn't believe in using a position player as a long snapper just to save a roster spot.
- Happe also served as the Beaver's long snapper on punts and placekicks.
- Rob Davis, the Packers' long snapper, is the first player from Shippensburg (Pa.) College to play in the NFL.
Words that rhyme with snapperclapper, dapper, flapper, grappa, kappa, knapper, mapper, nappa, napper, rapper, sapper, scrapper, strapper, tapper, trapper, wrapper, yapper, Zappa
Definition of snapper in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.