A large American freshwater turtle with a long neck and strong hooked jaws.
- Family Chelydridae: Chelydra serpentina and the alligator snapper
More example sentences
- The marsh supports American toads, midland painted turtles, Blanding's turtles, snapping turtles, and Lake Erie water snakes.
- In their native habitat, predators such as large water snakes, alligators, and snapping turtles keep adult bullfrogs in check, while fish slurp tadpoles.
- Spanish moss trails from the branches of unfamiliar trees and the blunt noses of alligators appear through a duckweed-covered swamp that contains snapping turtles, blue gill perch and catfish.
Definition of snapping turtle in:
- The US English dictionary