noun (plural same or snipefishes)
- A marine fish that has a long, slender snout with the mouth at the tip.
More example sentences
- Family Macrorhamphosidae: several genera and species
- Many of the species at this level, such as the snipefish, dragnets, spinefish, and bottom dwelling rockfish, are ‘lunch’ for larger predators.
- In most cases the snipefish are pink, silver or red in coloration and grow to be about twelve inches long.
- Some snipefish, such as the ones on the cover, also have a long, pointed spine stretching back from the dorsal fin.