A northern bunting that breeds mainly in the Arctic, the male having white plumage with a black back in the breeding season.
- Plectrophenax nivalis, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae)
More example sentences
- Visit the famous Scottish Highlands during springtime and you may spot the capercaillie, Scottish crossbill, crested tit, black and red grouse, snow bunting and ptarmigan, golden eagle, and breeding osprey.
- Songbirds also live here, including the snow bunting, raven, American tree sparrow, and hoary redpoll.
- Small numbers of the Arctic snow bunting are sometimes seen in the North-West during winter, but the bird is more familiar to the east coast of Britain and in coastal north-western Europe.
More definitions of snow buntingDefinition of snow bunting in:
- The US English dictionary