Definition of snowbird in English:
1North American informal A northerner who moves to a warmer Southern state in the winter: at the peak of the tourist season the hotel hosted an additional three hundred snowbirds and backpackers
More example sentences
- The phrase ‘Québécois at the beach’ usually conjures up images of Quebec's snowbirds escaping winter for Florida's sunny shores.
- That would allow snowbirds and Southeastern race fans to spend three weeks in Florida, migrating from one track to the other.
- Sue all Northern Yankee States for forcing snowbirds to leave by criminal tacit encouragement of bad weather.
2A widespread and variable junco (songbird) with grey or brown upper parts and a white belly.
- Junco hyemalis, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae). Alternative name: dark-eyed junco
- On days with fresh snowfall, GC concentrations were higher in dark-eyed juncos than on days without fresh snow and fat reserves increased after these snows.
- Dominant dark-eyed juncos also obtained more food than subordinate juncos when food was clumped and the same amount of food when food was dispersed.
- Similarly, in male and female dark-eyed juncos, dominance was related to prior residency.
Definition of snowbird in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.