Definition of snug in English:
adjective (snugger, snuggest)
- Jake's soft against me, pulled up, and I've leant my head against his chest and his arm's round me and it's comfortable and snug and warm, and nice.
- They all made themselves comfortable inside their snug and warm sleeping bags.
- Still, once a fire is crackling, it is a warm, snug shelter.
- She is a tall and slim model-like blond with blue eyes and wrapped in a snug coat with some black pants and tennis shoes also.
- The fit should be snug but not confining - remember, they'll stretch a bit with use.
- The fit is quite snug, and I don't think this will be detrimental in performance.
nounBritish Back to top
- The main bar greets you and you can enjoy your drink down by the fireplace or in one of its comfortable snugs.
- It's such an unusual shape, with nooks and crannies and little attic bedrooms here and little snugs there.
- We pass on, pausing only a couple of times for me to bump my head on bits of metal protruding from various ladders, down into a room that looks like the snug of a golf-club bar.
verb (snugs, snugging, snugged)[with object and adverbial of direction] chiefly North American Back to top
- He laughs, snugging his cap down over his monk's coif of graying hair.
- We hike back to the boat, snug our life jackets, and push off, the first set of waves and holes going by almost without my notice.
- Thread the tube on and off a few times without snugging it down to make sure it's spinning down fully where it should.
- I was also wearing the toastiest socks on God's Green Earth and I had brought down the spare duvet under which I was intending to snug down for the long haul.
- Maxine stirred, yawned, rolling over and snugging up against me, her breasts pressing against my side and an arm draped over my chest.
- I woke late the next morning snugged warmly in Scott's bed… without Scott.
- 1snug as a bug (in a rug)
- In an extremely comfortable position or situation.Example sentences
- It will give you a way of running away from life, to dream, to be comfortable… snug as a bug in a rug.
- Immersed in the wrap, I was as snug as a bug in a rug and it was it hard to believe how quickly the 20 minutes passed when the therapist removes you from your cocoon.
- Unbelievably for me I failed to put my foot through the ceiling, or fall through the loft hatch, or step on any water pipes, and every winter we are as snug as a bug in a rug.
- Example sentences
- The bold black facade is set off in golden letters on the front of a pub which is snugly situated in Bundoran's Golden Mile.
- The same piece can reside snugly between my teeth for up to 7 hours, considering I don't eat or drink much during this.
- Star has some fetching pajama suits for men and women in snugly warm fabric with appliquéd cartoon characters.
- 2snugness noun
- Example sentences
- I've been having some frighteningly faultless sleep recently - a rare fusion of pleasant dreams, the all over body relaxation you normally only get after a long bath the night before and a general feeling of snugness as I wake.
- I've now discovered that they fit perfectly again without the slightest feeling of snugness.
- The results fit with quite incredible snugness.
The first use of snug was as a sailors' term, probably from German or Dutch, that meant ‘shipshape, properly prepared for bad weather’: ‘Captain Read…ordered the Carpenters to cut down our Quarter Deck to make the Ship snug and the fitter for Sailing’ (William Dampier, A New Voyage Around the World, 1697). A small, comfortable room in a pub was known as a snug from the 1830s, but the original name was a snuggery—in The Pickwick Papers ( 1837) Charles Dickens refers to ‘the snuggery inside the bar’. There used to be a verb snug that meant ‘to lie or nestle closely’, and from this we get snuggle (late 17th century).
Words that rhyme with snugbug, chug, Doug, drug, dug, fug, glug, hug, jug, lug, mug, plug, pug, rug, shrug, slug, smug, thug, trug, tug
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.