- 1The state of being sober: the price of beer compelled me to maintain a certain level of sobrietyMore example sentences
- This was followed by a series of rapid texts establishing their respective levels of sobriety.
- My reasons tend to vary according to my mood and level of sobriety.
- Treatment has only one goal: sobriety or total abstinence from alcohol or the abused substance.
- 2The quality of being staid or solemn: she speaks with such sobriety, it’s clear she speaks the truthMore example sentences
seriousness, solemnness, solemnity, thoughtfulness, gravity, graveness, sombreness, severity, earnestness, sedateness, staidness, dignity, dignified demeanour, steadiness, level-headedness, serious-mindedness, common sense, pragmatism, practicality, practicalness, self-control, self-restraint, conservatism, strictness, puritanism
- The director Marc Forster's film takes exuberant leaps from the sensible adult sobriety of Edwardian London to the fantasy world of Neverland and back again.
- As they have been realised, the dreams themselves have assumed a peculiar character of sobriety, of the spirit of positivism, and beyond that, of boredom.
- At no stage have we shown, or sought to show, any competence, insight, initiative, wit, sobriety, sincerity or indeed any capability at all.
late Middle English: from Old French sobriete or Latin sobrietas, from sobrius (see sober).