- The perceived or desired degree of remoteness between a member of one social group and the members of another, as evidenced in the level of intimacy tolerated between them: material differences provided members with a constant stimulus for social distanceMore example sentences
- Both Sinhala and Tamil contain a range of linguistic markers for status as well as relative social distance and intimacy.
- The intimate social distance between the teacher and the students implies that the teacher showed her students she belonged to their community and to their culture.
- Thus, treatment and comparison students were roughly equivalent in their perceptions of social distance from their classmates with the exception of the preps and the jocks.
More definitions of social distanceDefinition of social distance in:
- The US English dictionary