Definition of socioecology in English:
The branch of science that deals with the interactions among the members of a species, and between them and the environment.
- Identifying the factors that influence primate variability at the subspecific level can lead to more effective models for the evolution of primate socioecology.
- The recent proliferation of long-term mammalian studies over broad geographic areas and taxa as diverse as carnivores, ungulates, and primates provided considerable insights into the socioecology of mammalian groups.
- Adaptive socioecology rests on the notion that social systems can change rapidly in response to a novel ecology.
- Example sentences
- He has chosen to concentrate on environmental factors - soil degradation, shortened fallows, vegetation change, disease, and urbanization to explain the socioecological collapse implied in the archeological record.
- These networks are based on shared ethical, socioecological, and political values.
- This community-focused, bottom-up approach tends to produce highly detailed, ethnographically derived accounts of socioecological changes within particular localities.
- 2socioecologist noun
- Example sentences
- According to socioecologists, who look at the natural environment to explain social dispositions, the optimal condition for the evolution of egalitarianism is dependency on cooperation combined with the option to leave the group.
- We could say, to be short, that some activists are focussing on biological considerations while others are taking into account the human and social aspect of ecology (they tend to qualify themselves as socioecologists).
- Socioecologists argue that men, women, and children have to share food in order to ensure the long-term survival of the group.
Pronunciation: /səʊʃɪəʊˌiːkəˈlɒdʒɪk(ə)l/ /səʊsɪəʊˌiːkəˈlɒdʒɪk(ə)l/adjective
Definition of socioecology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.