Definition of sociopath in English:
A person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behaviour.
- Professor Kets de Vries says the world can neatly be divided into three distinct behavioural groups: sociopaths, psychopaths and what he calls ‘normopaths’, or excessively normal people.
- With the exception of sociopaths, who are expert liars, most people sound tense, their voices highly pitched, when they fib.
- No society has yet been able to free itself of sociopaths, extreme bigots, and aggressive personalities.
- Example sentences
- Some violent offenders are not sociopathic or psychopathic, yet probably about 20 percent of the prison population is diagnosable as being psychopathic.
- Jason Soon has an interesting post drawing attention to research suggesting a link between psychopathic and sociopathic personalities and abnormal brain development.
- Some individuals may well have a genetic propensity for aggression or for mental instability - or even for sociopathic behavior.
- Example sentences
- For example, prospectively matching alcoholic patients to cognitive behavioral therapy or interactional therapy based on levels of sociopathy and psychiatric severity was found to reduce negative consequences of drinking.
- But what's not clear is if this is pathological lying to an extreme, so that it indicates actually a character flaw, anti-social personality or sociopathy which is found in many criminals.
- If these defects lie in all of us, which of course they do to some extent, then looking at a more comprehensive list of symptoms for sociopathy and psychopathy might lead the way.
Definition of sociopath in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia