(also sockeye salmon)
A commercially valuable salmon of the North Pacific and rivers draining into it. Also called red salmon.
- Oncorhynchus nerka, family Salmonidae. See also kokanee
More example sentences
- Several species, including white sturgeon, pink salmon, chum salmon, coho salmon, and sockeye salmon, come inland to spawn.
- Another effect of the bears is reflected in the dorsal humps of male sockeye and pink salmon: they are smaller than the humps of salmon not exposed to bears.
- So at breeding time many of the river sockeye that swam over to the beach must have been relatively unsuccessful at passing on their genes.
late 19th century: from Salish sukai, literally 'fish of fishes'.
Definition of sockeye in:
- The US English dictionary