- A plain low block or plinth serving as a support for a column, urn, statue, etc. or as the foundation of a wall.More example sentences
- The building itself was in a starkly neoclassical style, with a long colonnade of flat, fluted piers without capitals or socles, and with triangular pediments adorned only with the raised letters of an inscription.
- The epigraphic ensemble culminates in an extraordinary but poorly preserved rendition of the sultan's titles surrounding the lowest portion of the minaret, its octagonal socle.
- The exterior elevation consists of three cylindrical shafts of decreasing thickness from bottom to top, set on an octagonal socle and reaching a total height of over 255 feet.
early 18th century: from French, from Italian zoccolo, literally 'wooden shoe', from Latin socculus, from soccus (see sock).
More definitions of socleDefinition of socle in:
- The US English dictionary