- The underside of an architectural structure such as an arch, a balcony, or overhanging eaves.More example sentences
- The stadium's design, which suggests an ornate airline hangar, is punctuated with arches balconies, soffits, and pilasters.
- Typically produced in a plant away from the construction site, precast concrete can be formed into virtually any shape to create structural elements or flat panels articulated with copings, returns, soffits, jambs, or sills.
- The walls are fully glazed from a low sill to the underside of the soffit.
early 17th century: from French soffite or Italian soffitto, based on Latin suffixus 'fastened below'.
More definitions of soffitDefinition of soffit in:
- The US English dictionary