- (In Spanish and Italian cooking) a mixture of lightly fried onions and garlic, usually with tomatoes and other vegetables, used as a base for soups and stews.More example sentences
- There are beautifully fried morsels of goat cheese, too, in a vibrant, tomatoey sofrito sauce that has an earthy red-chile undertone.
- Many Puerto Rican dishes are seasoned with a savory mixture of spices known as sofrito.
- Add 2 tablespoons Sofrito to meat and rice dishes for added flavor and seasoning.
Spanish sofrito, Italian soffritto, literally 'lightly fried'.
More definitions of sofritoDefinition of sofrito in:
- The US English dictionary