- 1Any of a number of bacterial and fungal diseases of fruit and vegetables in which the tissue becomes soft and slimy.More example sentences
- As they feed, borers introduce bacteria that cause a soft rot that ultimately turns leaves brown and destroys the plants.
- Irises need fast-draining soil to avoid soft rot.
- The appearance of soft rot in the tubers injected with the supernatant confirmed that the bacterial culture was viable and producing exoenzymes when grown in LB media.
- 1.1Any of a number of fungal conditions affecting timber, which becomes soft and friable.More example sentences
- Soft rot in wood often appears brown and can be confused with decay caused by brown rot fungi.
- Soft rot is different from other types of wood decay.
More definitions of soft rotDefinition of soft rot in:
- The US English dictionary