(also softshell turtle)
A freshwater turtle with a flattened leathery shell, native to Asia, Africa, and North America.
- Family Trionychidae: several genera and many species, including the spiny softshell (Apalone (or Trionyx) spinifera) of North America
More example sentences
- Superficially, softshells can be distinguished by their dorsoventral compression, leathery shells, and elongate snout.
- Other turtles identified were softshell (Apalone sp.) and snapping turtles (Chelydra sp.).
- Additionally, we question whether it is possible for softshell turtles to reach the Hudson River via the Erie Canal from Oneida Lake in a span of four years.
Definition of softshell in:
- The US English dictionary