(also solander box)
- A protective box made in the form of a book, for holding such items as botanical specimens, maps, papers, etc..More example sentences
- The Moroccan-leather-bound edition, limited to 50 numbered copies, is encased in a silver buckram drop-back solander box (£750 inclusive of delivery).
- These large brown solander boxes in front of us are from that and then we also have material from Cook's second and third voyages in the collection, made up of quite some thousands of drawings.
- Currently, solander boxes are made from a variety of materials some of which are not acid-free.
late 18th century: named after Daniel C. Solander (1736–82), Swedish botanist.
More definitions of solanderDefinition of solander in:
- The US English dictionary