Definition of solemn in English:
- It's a solemn, formal occasion witnessed with pride by family and friends.
- The funeral procession was solemn but lofty, as befit the prince.
- We went then from the cold church in solemn procession, singing litanies into the thin air.
- The painter's face assumed a serious, almost solemn expression.
- When you go into a courtroom you are doing something very serious and solemn and you are representing more than just the rights of your client.
- His brown eyes were serious and solemn as he watched her.
- And, beyond logistics, Carlton was a public servant, bound by a solemn sworn duty to uphold the law.
- After marrying Romola he wounds her deepest feelings by betraying her father's solemn trust.
- Her voice grew serious and I could tell her face was taking on the unfamiliarity of really being solemn and genuine about something.
- Example sentences
- Rows of medals glittered in the sun as some of those who fought stood solemnly, remembering friends who died.
- Amidst cheers and laughter, we solemnly held up glasses, pledging to meet again every other year.
- Deacon Gavril comes out of the church and solemnly announces that the service is due to begin.
- 2solemnness noun
- Example sentences
- Obviously, rituals imparted significance, not only the meaning and message of the ritual but also in the enforcement of ceremonial aspects of secret fraternalism - the solemnness, responsibility, secrecy, and exclusiveness.
- ‘So it is you, Gyric,’ replied the monk, regarding Gyric with great solemnness.
- The 25 performers, including six musicians playing live on stage, explore their physical limits in flowing movements expressing the mysteries and solemnness of the cycle of nature.
Middle English (in the sense 'associated with religious rites'): from Old French solemne, from Latin sollemnis 'customary, celebrated at a fixed date', from sollus 'entire'.
Words that rhyme with solemncolumn, olm
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.