Definition of solenoid in English:
A cylindrical coil of wire acting as a magnet when carrying electric current.
- In addition to motors, components such as transformers, solenoids, and large capacitors also create high currents upon start-up.
- Please be careful if you try placing a magnet in your solenoid, as the magnet can shoot out.
- The starter solenoid is essentially a large electronic switch that can handle that much current.
- Example sentences
- The STAR detector is a large volume, gas-filled detector to record charged particle tracks in a solenoidal magnetic field.
- The various solenoidal, zig-zag and crossed-linker structures - all of which are assumed to have straight linkers - appear as ‘points’ in this phase diagram.
- The best agreement was found for the zig-zag model, whereas a solenoidal arrangement of nucleosomes gave fragment distributions that deviated considerably from their experiment.
Definition of solenoid in:
- US English dictionary