- The minor component in a solution, dissolved in the solvent.More example sentences
- Solubility can be affected by such processes as hydrogen bonding between the solute and solvent.
- The solute is placed in the solvent and the concentrated solute slowly breaks into pieces.
- In aqueous solutions, water is the solvent and all dissolved substances are solutes.
late 19th century: from Latin solutum, neuter of solutus 'loosened', past participle of the verb solvere.
More definitions of soluteDefinition of solute in:
- The US English dictionary