noun (plural same or Somalis)
1A member of a mainly Muslim people of Somalia.
- Readers learn something about Somalis and Muslims and about the quiet, often-unseen battles being waged each day over culture and tradition.
- Unlike other Muslims, Somalis believe that both their religious and secular leaders have the power to bless and to curse people.
- In a metropolis which is 60 percent white, Somalis are not only African but Muslim as well, making them targets of racism and prejudice manifested in housing discrimination, hate crimes and police brutality.
1.1 [mass noun] The Cushitic language of the Somalis, the official language of Somalia, also spoken in Djibouti and parts of Kenya and Ethiopia, and having over 6 million speakers.
- All Somalis speak Somali, the official language.
- It is home to people of different national origins whose first languages include Somali, Hindi, Urdu and Bengali.
- The desert-dwelling peoples of the Southeast speak dialects of Somali.
1.2A native or inhabitant of Somalia.
- There are photographs of Iraqis, Kurds, Somalis and refugees from the former Soviet Union.
- The measure affected Afghans, Somalis and Chechens facing return to regions beset by civil wars or with no functioning government.
- It was part of a nationwide crackdown on the centers that Somalis use to send money home to family members.
Relating to Somalia, the Somalis, or their language.
- Despite his fluency in the Somali language and culture, Ibrahim considers himself thoroughly American.
- If Mo breaks through into the big time, a lot of doors will open for Somali people.
- And those same Somali students who streamed into the ESL program have also pushed up local school enrollment, which translates into increased federal and state funding.
- Example sentences
- I wouldn't have expected as many Hispanics or Hmong or Somalians.
- English classes are held three times a week for a group of nationalities that includes Somalians, Congolese, Turks and Iraqis.
- In Dadat camp, for example, several clutters of this nature have been put together, with the whole purpose of defending Somalian nationhood and identity.
The name in Somali.
Words that rhyme with SomaliBali, barley, Cali, Carly, Charlie, Dali, Diwali, finale, gnarly, Gurkhali, Kali, Kigali, Mali, Marley, marly, Pali, parley, snarly, Svengali, tamale
Definition of Somali in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.