noun[mass noun] Psychiatry
The manifestation of psychological distress by the presentation of bodily symptoms: [as modifier]: somatization disorder
More example sentences
- A few patients are seriously disabled through a long history of many unexplained symptoms, defined as somatisation disorder.
- It's one of a number of different somatoform disorders, the most serious of which is somatization disorder, a condition that is roughly 10 times more common in women than in men.
- The psychiatric disorders associated with somatization, specifically anxiety and depression, respond well to pharmacologic treatment.
somatize (also somatise) verb
- Example sentences
- Like the majority of developing countries, many mental patients in Arab countries tend to somatize their psychological symptoms.
- The disclosure intervention had no effect on use of medical services, subjective health, or sick leave in somatising patients in general practice.
- Given the tendency among Chinese to somatize psychological symptoms, two indicators of mental health were employed in the study.
Definition of somatization in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.