To a moderate extent or by a moderate amount; rather: matters have improved somewhat since then [as submodifier]: a somewhat thicker book
More example sentences
- Also this post would be rather dull, and somewhat limited if I did not quote the email.
- Matters were getting somewhat out of hand with those native to the city finding it hard to get a house.
- Following the link took me to a page somewhat like this, which was all rather scary to say the least.
a little, a bit, a little bit, to a limited extent/degree, to a certain degree, to some extent, to some degree, (up) to a point, in some measure, rather, quite, within limits
North American informal someslightly, relatively, comparatively, moderately, fairly, marginally, a shade, rather, quite, within limits
more than somewhat
- informal Very or very much: it must have changed more than somewhat since thenMore example sentences
- The trip to the surgery taxed me more than somewhat, along with the malaise that comes from being prodded and poked.
- It's been a wonderful summer even if the hottest part did try my endurance and my optimism, too, rather more than somewhat.
- Nothing wrong with a pretty ending even if, historically, it was stretching things more than somewhat.
- Something of: it was somewhat of a disappointmentMore example sentences
- Far fewer people speak English in the suburbs, so going out for dinner becomes somewhat of an adventure.
- Hiding what I disapprove of on my face is somewhat of a challenge.
- Like Winston, he noted how the debate has come to somewhat of a standstill.