Definition of songline in English:
1(In Australian Aboriginal belief) a route through the landscape which is believed to have been travelled during the Dreamtime (or Alcheringa) and which features a series of landmarks thought to relate to events that happened during this time.
- If we were Australian aboriginals, wouldn't we be fighting to resist this erosion of our songlines and sacred places, by the secular powers-that-be?
- Even today aborigines in the outback habitually go walkabout to experience what they call the "songlines", singing the old songs and tunes and thereby continuing the very essence of creation.
- This recognizes that there is a dimension of political identity and boundary marking in songlines.
1.1A traditional song or story recording a journey made during the Dreamtime.
- And all of their dreamtime stories, all of their songlines are all about the plants and the animals and the stories of how everything came to be.
- The dance became an important part of setting the structure of who we are, what our songs and our songlines are.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan