noun (plural songololos)South African
- A millipede which curls up into a pinwheel-shaped coil when disturbed.
More example sentences
- Julus terrestris, class Diplopoda
- It's fun to speculate about a meal featuring beetle broth; locust wing hors d'oeuvres; spider pie entrée with fly fritters; main dish of worm Wellington, caterpillar dumplings and songololos julienne.
- His concern is with songololos, especially after a downpour.
- The sounds and sight of these sleek and powerful metallic songololos have become part of everyday life for the communities through whose land they pass.
early 20th century: from Xhosa i-songololo, Zulu i-shongololo (from ukus(h)onga 'roll up').