adjective (sootier, sootiest)
1Covered with or coloured like soot: his olive skin and sooty eyes
More example sentences
- What's with this sooty blackness that covers my fruit at harvest?
- Of course, once they tried to get things out, the roof had collapsed in, covering everything in sooty ashes.
- For me now, it is the colour of grey, sooty, diesel-smelling exhaust smoke blowing in my face.
1.1Used in names of birds and other animals that are mainly blackish or brownish black, e.g. sooty tern.
- Got a few lifers for my bird list too, including greater and lesser frigate birds, sooty falcon and olive bee-eater.
- As the dinghy approaches the shores of North Avon Island, flocks of sooty and noddy terns swirl up and wheel above the dinghy, squawking loudly at our intrusion.
- On the cliffs above the colonies, we encountered nests of the light-mantled sooty albatross; on the plateau, huge wandering albatross chicks sat like white, fluffy lighthouses.
- Example sentences
- Forget any ideas of Dick Van Dyke cavorting sootily on Victorian rooftops; chimney sweeping is a modern, regulated business with its own trade association and training courses.
- The movie is set in the harsh, sootily glamorous new Russian business world.
- I scaled the fence - one of the benefits of hoboing for 19 years is that barbed-wire fences look like screen doors - and sootily rode the predictable, comfortable Metro back to my apartment.
- Example sentences
- In this activity, biodiesel and some other fuels are tested and compared for sootiness and acidity.
- The high sootiness of the clay could be just a concentration effect, and the glass droplets made by algae.
- The sootiness on the bridge of his nose adds to the effect, as many silvers have similar facial masking.
Words that rhyme with sootyfooty, putti, tutti
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sooty
Definition of sooty in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.