Definition of sophist in English:
1A paid teacher of philosophy and rhetoric in Greece in the Classical and Hellenistic periods, associated in popular thought with moral scepticism and specious reasoning.
- His mistress Aspasia and the sophist Anaxagoras were perhaps prosecuted.
- Twenty-four years earlier, Aristophanes in his play Clouds had lampooned Socrates as a sophist who taught his pupils to scorn parental authority and subvert civic justice for their own gains.
- Dion Chrysostom, Herodes Atticus, Aristides, Lucian, and Philostratus the Elder belong to the flourishing period of this second school of sophists, a period which extends over the entire second century.
1.1A person who reasons with clever but false arguments.
- Sept. 11 leaves the ‘moral equivalency’ muddlers exposed as sophists and charlatans.
- A few of the usual postmodern sophists offered up a few of the usual postmodern sophistries about perfect freedom and individual will.
- Sure enough, bylined sophists hit the Internet for descriptions of the machine.
- Example sentences
- Thinking is a big factor, be it sophistic or plainly dark.
- One scream and your sophistic notions crumble to dust.
- The traditional quality of Calliclean ‘natural justice’ is worth emphasising, since Callicles is often read as a representative of the sophistic movement and their subversive ‘modern’ ideas.
- Example sentences
- But I was being sophistical when I responded to their claims that our government is our enemy with that other cliché, you are the government.
- This is the truly disturbing and important story, replete with ironies and sophistical logic.
- The newspapers have at their disposal all manner of sophistical ways around this.
Mid 16th century: via Latin from Greek sophistēs, from sophizesthai 'devise, become wise', from sophos 'wise'.
Words that rhyme with sophistpacifist
Definition of sophist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.