Definition of sophisticate in English:
- If Acosta and Nuñez somewhat sophisticated it, two nights later Johan Kobborg and Alina Cojocaru - yet another first-timer - relocated its Arcadian heart.
- Work on the densely literary Essay on Irish Bulls sophisticated Edgeworth's approach, by requiring her to reflect on what a nation is when it is less than an autonomous state.
- The sous chef prepares both raw and cooked vegan cuisine for the sophisticate palate at this Florida hot spot.
- Wine is the sophisticate drink, the drink of kings and the king of drinks, whereas beer is just, you know, the honest drink of the working man.
- Celie comes home to visit, looking different - sophisticate and attractive - wearing pants and flowers.
- That won him the derision of Western sophisticates, intellectuals and defeatists of all kinds.
- There are two cultures in Australia: the jaded, would-be sophisticates of the cities versus the home-grown patriots of the small towns and the bush.
- They provide a perfect context for the aestheticized sophisticate, validating his expansive personality and style.
late Middle English (as an adjective in the sense 'adulterated', and as a verb in the sense 'mix with a foreign substance'): from medieval Latin sophisticatus 'tampered with', past participle of the verb sophisticare, from sophisticus 'sophistic'. The shift of sense probably occurred first in the adjective unsophisticated, from 'uncorrupted' via 'innocent' to 'inexperienced, uncultured'. The noun dates from the early 20th century.
Words that rhyme with sophisticateprognosticate
Definition of sophisticate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.