A cereal which is native to warm regions of the Old World and is a major source of grain and stockfeed.
- Genus Sorghum, family Gramineae: many species, in particular S. bicolor and its cultivars
More example sentences
- They also eat grains such as Chinese sorghum, corn, millet, oats, and buckwheat.
- The major agricultural products are wheat, rice, barley, corn, sorghum, sugarcane, potatoes, and fruits.
- Brewing materials such as maize, sorghum and finger millet were in abundance in the area but were now being ferried to a neighbouring country.
late 16th century: modern Latin, from Italian sorgo, perhaps based on a variant of Latin syricum 'Syrian'.
Definition of sorghum in:
- The US English dictionary