1A European plant of the dock family, with arrow-shaped leaves that are used in salads and cookery for their acidic flavour. See also wood sorrel.
- Genus Rumex, family Polygonaceae: several species, including the English sorrel (R. acetosa) and the more slender-leaved French sorrel (R. scutatus)
- Fagopyrum esculentum, a plant of the same family as rhubarb, sorrel, and dock, is grown for its seeds; these resemble those of cereals.
- Vegetables were not cultivated, but came in the form of wild carrots, turnip and garlic, along with salad leaves such as sorrel, nettle and dock.
- There is always room to include Italian and curly parsley, sorrel, salad burnet, mustard, chard, and kale greens.
2 (also red sorrel) A tall annual Caribbean hibiscus with red flowers and stems.
- Hibiscus sabdariffa, family Malvaceae
- For instance, there are botanical-based hair colorants rich in herbs such as nettle, sage, red sorrel, rosemary and burdock.
- It is also known as Indian sorrel, Jamaican sorrel, red sorrel, Florida cranberry, rosella, and Ambada in Hindi.
- The sorrel, a kind of a red plant with pods is collected and soaked to produce a richly colored liquid.
2.1 [mass noun] A sweet red drink made from the sepals of the flowers of the red sorrel.
- I had my first drink of sorrel for the ‘season’ two days ago… nice!
- Anyhow, a little fellow was sitting across from this guy watching him eat his cake and drink his sorrel.
- Drinks based on corn, sorrel, and pineapple are also traditional during the holiday season.
Words that rhyme with sorrelamoral, Balmoral, coral, immoral, laurel, moral, quarrel, sorel
1A horse with a light reddish-brown coat.
- Like any event where you get a mixture of breeds, there were paints, sorrels, bays and palominos… almost anything you could want!
- When Custer and staff returned he ordered the saddle taken off his brown horse and put on his favorite sorrel.
- Both were riding horses, the villager on a fat grey pony and the nobleman on a lean sorrel.
1.1 [mass noun, usually as modifier] A light reddish-brown colour: a sorrel mare with four white socks
More example sentences
- The chase had taken ten days, during which Cortez walked at least one hundred twenty miles and rode more than four hundred on brown and sorrel mares.
- Aptly named Stylish And Foxie, the 9-year-old sorrel mare made quick work of the Senior Cutting for a 226 score and the World Championship.
- He tipped his hat and accepted the reins of his sorrel mare from the stable boy.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.