1A European plant of the dock family, with arrow-shaped leaves that are used in salads and cooking for their acidic flavour. See also wood sorrel.
- Genus Rumex, family Polygonaceae: several species, including the English sorrel (R. acetosa) and the more slender-leaved French sorrel (R. scutatus)
- Fagopyrum esculentum, a plant of the same family as rhubarb, sorrel, and dock, is grown for its seeds; these resemble those of cereals.
- Vegetables were not cultivated, but came in the form of wild carrots, turnip and garlic, along with salad leaves such as sorrel, nettle and dock.
- There is always room to include Italian and curly parsley, sorrel, salad burnet, mustard, chard, and kale greens.
2 (also red sorrel) A tall annual Caribbean hibiscus with red flowers and stems.
- Hibiscus sabdariffa, family Malvaceae
- For instance, there are botanical-based hair colorants rich in herbs such as nettle, sage, red sorrel, rosemary and burdock.
- It is also known as Indian sorrel, Jamaican sorrel, red sorrel, Florida cranberry, rosella, and Ambada in Hindi.
- The sorrel, a kind of a red plant with pods is collected and soaked to produce a richly colored liquid.
2.1 [mass noun] A sweet red drink made from the sepals of the flowers of the red sorrel.
- I had my first drink of sorrel for the ‘season’ two days ago… nice!
- Anyhow, a little fellow was sitting across from this guy watching him eat his cake and drink his sorrel.
- Drinks based on corn, sorrel, and pineapple are also traditional during the holiday season.
Words that rhyme with sorrelamoral, Balmoral, coral, immoral, laurel, moral, quarrel, sorel
Definition of sorrel in:
1A horse with a light reddish-brown coat.
- Like any event where you get a mixture of breeds, there were paints, sorrels, bays and palominos… almost anything you could want!
- When Custer and staff returned he ordered the saddle taken off his brown horse and put on his favorite sorrel.
- Both were riding horses, the villager on a fat grey pony and the nobleman on a lean sorrel.
1.1 [mass noun, usually as modifier] A light reddish-brown colour: a sorrel mare with four white socks
More example sentences
- The chase had taken ten days, during which Cortez walked at least one hundred twenty miles and rode more than four hundred on brown and sorrel mares.
- Aptly named Stylish And Foxie, the 9-year-old sorrel mare made quick work of the Senior Cutting for a 226 score and the World Championship.
- He tipped his hat and accepted the reins of his sorrel mare from the stable boy.
Definition of sorrel in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.