Linguistics & Philosophy
Denoting or relating to a term representing a semantic feature that applies to an entity as long as it exists, classifying it as being of a particular kind.
- Let ‘F’ and ‘G’ be certain sortal terms, that is to say, general terms denoting certain sorts or kinds of substantial individual.
- Such completely general terms as ‘thing’ ‘entity’ or ‘object’, on Dummett's view, are not genuine sortal terms, since they fail to provide any criteria of identity.
- It will be shown that a semantic fit between the sortal restrictions activated by the preposition and a depicted object results in inhibitory effects.
A sortal term, for example human as opposed to engineer.
- Another type of important simple sortal comprises the stage sortals that apply exclusively to partly real individuals of a given kind.
- Moreover, artifact sortals can be essentially or nonessentially artifactual.
- Sortals for living objects determine principles of activity; sortals for artifacts determine principles of functioning.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sor¦tal
Definition of sortal in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.