- The action of selecting or determining something by the casting or drawing of lots.More example sentences
- Using sortition to fill a single-person office could easily lead to choosing a person unsuited for the job.
- The idea of sortition derives from the same root as the idea of discretionary rights.
- To endorse sortition as a means of representing the people does not require believing that the people are perfect.
late 16th century: from Latin sortitio(n-), from sortire 'divide or obtain by lot'.
More definitions of sortitionDefinition of sortition in:
- The US English dictionary