noun (plural sori /-rʌɪ/)Botany
- 1A cluster of spore-producing receptacles on the underside of a fern frond.More example sentences
- In fertile plants, sori are produced on the abaxial side of the leaves in summer.
- At flowering, the fungus undergoes massive sporulation in the floral tissue and replaces the seeds with smut sori.
- They are commonly referred to as the Lip Ferns because the sori are borne at the margins of the pinnules and the leaf margins themselves are often reflexed to form false indusia that protect the sori.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek sōros 'heap'.
More definitions of sorusDefinition of sorus in:
- The US English dictionary