Definition of sou in English:
1A former French coin of low value.
- The most impressive breakthrough in this period was nevertheless made by Le Petit Journal, a Parisian daily of tabloid size, launched in 1863, and selling for one sou.
- Both appear to have been financially respectable, but hardly wealthy, paying between 50 sous and three livres per year in tailles.
- Van Gogh bought colourful woodblock prints for a few sous a pile from Père Tanguy, his paint supplier in Paris.
1.1 [usually with negative] informal A very small amount of money: he didn’t have a sou
More example sentences
- Even though we did not have two sous to rub together, we just knew it was going to be our home.
- With a bedridden child and dying wife, he described his desperate situation to art critic Théodore Duret: ‘I am sitting here literally without a sou.’
- When the going gets tough, a Frenchman may have holes in his shoes, but will spend his last sou on a fine, nutritionally excellent, meal.
Definition of sou in:
- US English dictionary