- A style of African popular music characterized by syncopated rhythms and intricate contrasting guitar melodies, originating in the Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire).More example sentences
- A maximum of five contestants vie in categories dedicated to dancehall, reggae, soukous, African, compass/racine, calypso, Latin, and gospel music.
- Congo jazz and soukous, played on a guitar, are popular varieties for such dances.
- Over three days and nights, popular Creole musical forms such as cadence-lypso, compass, zouk, soukous, and bouyon ring out alongside Creole-influenced reggae and soca.
perhaps from French secouer 'to shake'.
More definitions of soukousDefinition of soukous in:
- The US English dictionary