- A rod used to measure the depth of water under a boat or in a ship’s hold or other container.More example sentences
- He said that he would be surprised if Mr Philips did not look into the forepeak tank, or check the cargo sounding rod which would have satisfied him that her cargo tanks were empty.
- Sonar and sounding rods are relatively inexpensive and simple devices, but each has its own limitations.
- If you are using a sounding rod, sound the tank every 3 or 4 minutes until it is nearly three-fourths full.
More definitions of sounding rodDefinition of sounding rod in:
- The US English dictionary