- 1A rock formation from which later sediments are derived or in which a particular mineral originates.More example sentences
- The geometry or shape of individual grains appears to be a property inherited from the original crystals of the silicate minerals in the source rock.
- Because the quartzitic gravels and progenitor source rock are notably heterogeneous, the resultant fulgurite glass likewise is demonstrably variable, as seen by the range of colors, textures, and swirled banding.
- It has been suggested that fluvial and lacustrine source rocks were locally deposited in grabens created along the transtensional edges of these rotating microcontinental blocks.
- 1.1A sediment containing sufficient organic matter to be a future source of hydrocarbons.More example sentences
- However, permeability barriers may also inhibit the migration of oil and gas from the source rock to the hydrocarbon reservoir.
- The lower limit of intermediate-burial diagenetic settings, and thereby the upper limit of deep-burial diagenetic settings, is defined as the top of the liquid oil window in hydrocarbon source rocks.
- The Ara Group has a high hydrocarbon potential and contains carbonate reservoirs, organic-rich carbonate and shale source rocks and evaporite seals.
More definitions of source rockDefinition of source rock in:
- The US English dictionary