nounScottish & Northern English
- A shoemaker.More example sentences
- The balls were probably made by a souter (a shoemaker or cobbler), whose stitching skills were essential to producing a good ball.
- An interlude follows in which are described the adventures of Chastity among humbler folks, a tailor, a soutar, and their wives.
- As far as my own garden is concerned, there is a saying that ‘the soutar's bairns are the worst shod’ and in gardening terms that could apply to me.
Old English sūtere, from Latin sutor, from suere 'sew'.
More definitions of souterDefinition of souter in:
- The US English dictionary