Definition of southpaw in English:
- Fighting from the left-handed southpaw stance, Magee's slashing left hands and jabs kept Hatton off balance for the majority of the opening stages.
- Spinks is going to cause problems for any fighter he faces because of his southpaw stance and elusive style.
- In the second round, Simms switched to a southpaw stance, which paid quick dividends.
- His numbers look good, and he's a southpaw in a pitcher's park, both of which bode quite well for his future.
- Based on rate stats, Wagner is unquestionably one of the best active pitchers, left-handed relievers, and southpaws in the history of the game.
- He left his own indelible mark on the game as a premier southpaw who made World Series appearances with two different teams, 17 years apart.
Mid 19th century (denoting the left hand or a punch with the left hand): the usage in baseball is from the orientation of the diamond to the same points of the compass, causing the pitcher to have his left hand on the south side of his body.
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.