noun[mass noun] British
- 1Protein derived from the beans of an Asian plant, used as a replacement for animal protein in certain foods.More example sentences
- My one slight concern about his diet is that it is based around just a couple of core foods; namely soya and wheat.
- Patients with gout should avoid high quality protein foods like non-vegetarian food and soya.
- The protein content in soya is substantially high when compared to pulses, they said.
- 1.1 (also soya sauce) Soy sauce.More example sentences
- On our last visit we tried the BBQ pork with pickles, mayo, soya sauce and cilantro for $3.50.
- Marinate chicken in soya sauce and cornflour and leave for ten mins.
- Add pimento seed, ketchup, soya sauce, salt and pepper cook for 3 mins
- 2The widely cultivated plant of the pea family which produces soya beans.
More example sentences
- Glycine max, family Leguminosae
- Besides GM cotton, genetically altered maize, soya and oilseed rape are grown.
- So far Argentina has approved crop trials for various cultivars of sunflower, maize, alfalfa, wheat, soya and potato.
- It used to be described as the bread basket of southern Africa, with neat fields of maize and soya growing in rich red soil and farmers notching up world records for yields.
late 17th century: from Dutch soja, from Malay soi (see soy).
More definitions of soyaDefinition of soya in:
- The US English dictionary