noun(the space race)
- The competition between nations regarding achievements in the field of space exploration.More example sentences
- Dwight Eisenhower's second term is best remembered for the Soviet Union pulling ahead in the space race with Sputnik and the downing of a U.S. spy plane over Soviet territory.
- Just as the launch of Sputnik changed the space race, this surprise announcement is being viewed as a setback for American science.
- The rocket was later modified to boost two astronauts in Gemini capsules into orbit during the space race.
More definitions of space raceDefinition of space race in:
- The US English dictionary