Definition of spacewalk in English:
A period of physical activity engaged in by an astronaut in space outside a spacecraft.
- A Russian cosmonaut and an American astronaut are on a spacewalk outside the International Space Station.
- The device is unique in that it reduces the static charge in a self-regulating manner and allows astronauts to safely conduct spacewalks on and around the structure of the International Space Station.
- For the year that it will be located outside of the ISS this experiment facility will be measuring the radiation doses that would be experienced by astronauts during spacewalks.
verbBack to top
Undertake a spacewalk.
- In addition to the ACS, spacewalking astronauts installed a new high-tech mechanical ‘refrigerator‘on Hubble during the servicing mission.
- Discovery's astronauts spent nine days of their 13-day mission resupplying the orbiting lab and two spacewalking astronauts replaced a gyroscope, which stopped working in 2002.
- Two spacewalking astronauts improved the parking situation at the international space station today, putting up the latest devices for guiding in a brand new line of space cargo ships.
- spacewalker noun
- Example sentences
- American experts believe that water vapor jetting from a cooling unit in the backpack of spacewalkers is strong enough to turn the entire two-hundred-ton space station out of alignment.
- From inside Columbus, Nancy Currie will operate the robotic arm on the end of which, poised on a foot platform, one of the spacewalkers will work most of the time.
- During their three spacewalks they completed the installation of the laboratory, deployed communications equipment, installed a docking port and practiced techniques for rescuing an incapacitated spacewalker.
Definition of spacewalk in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.