A period of physical activity engaged in by an astronaut in space outside a spacecraft.
- A Russian cosmonaut and an American astronaut are on a spacewalk outside the International Space Station.
- The device is unique in that it reduces the static charge in a self-regulating manner and allows astronauts to safely conduct spacewalks on and around the structure of the International Space Station.
- For the year that it will be located outside of the ISS this experiment facility will be measuring the radiation doses that would be experienced by astronauts during spacewalks.
Undertake a spacewalk.
- In addition to the ACS, spacewalking astronauts installed a new high-tech mechanical ‘refrigerator‘on Hubble during the servicing mission.
- Discovery's astronauts spent nine days of their 13-day mission resupplying the orbiting lab and two spacewalking astronauts replaced a gyroscope, which stopped working in 2002.
- Two spacewalking astronauts improved the parking situation at the international space station today, putting up the latest devices for guiding in a brand new line of space cargo ships.
- Example sentences
- American experts believe that water vapor jetting from a cooling unit in the backpack of spacewalkers is strong enough to turn the entire two-hundred-ton space station out of alignment.
- From inside Columbus, Nancy Currie will operate the robotic arm on the end of which, poised on a foot platform, one of the spacewalkers will work most of the time.
- During their three spacewalks they completed the installation of the laboratory, deployed communications equipment, installed a docking port and practiced techniques for rescuing an incapacitated spacewalker.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: space|walk
Definition of spacewalk in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.