- 1A dog of a breed with a long silky coat and drooping ears.More example sentences
- In the Middle Ages, a type of spaniel was bred, the ancestor of some of our modern spaniels, that would naturally crouch when it located game.
- I have also seen under-exercised dogs, spaniels in particular, lie around in a depressed and emotionally blackmailing way, glancing with sad brown eyes out of the window until you give in and throw yourself into a gale force 9.
- The feet should be examined daily, especially the hairy types of dog such as spaniels, for the presence of thorns.
Middle English: from Old French espaigneul 'Spanish (dog)', from Latin Hispaniolus 'Spanish'.
More definitions of spanielDefinition of spaniel in:
- The US English dictionary