- The spars - those are those huge, diagonal sticks hanging from the masts - are the frame for the sails.
- Although these canoes are covered with birchbark, this skin, like that of a kayak, is stretched over a framework of ribs and spars.
- Every point is held together by the spar that sticks up in the center.
- GKN Aerospace of the UK is to supply the complex carbon composite wing spars.
- The aircraft has twelve integral fuel tanks installed between the front and back spars in the wings.
- It had a single two-bladed propeller in the front and high wings secured by a pair of metal spars from the bottom of the fuselage, which was white with a blue stripe to the tail.
Words that rhyme with sparaargh, Accra, afar, ah, aha, aide-mémoire, ajar, Alcazar, are, Armagh, armoire, Artois, au revoir, baa, bah, bar, barre, bazaar, beaux-arts, Bekaa, bête noire, Bihar, bizarre, blah, Bogotá, Bonnard, bra, cafard, café noir, Calabar, car, Carr, Castlebar, catarrh, Changsha, char, charr, cigar, comme ci comme ça, commissar, coup d'état, de haut en bas, devoir, Dhofar, Directoire, Du Bois, Dumas, Dunbar, éclat, embarras de choix, escritoire, fah, famille noire, far, feu de joie, film noir, foie gras, Fra, galah, gar, guar, guitar, ha, hah, ha-ha, Halacha, hurrah, hussar, huzza, insofar, Invar, jar, je ne sais quoi, ka, kala-azar, Kandahar, khimar, Khorramshahr, knar, Krasnodar, Kwa, la-di-da, lah, Lehár, Loire, ma, mama, mamma, mar, Mardi Gras, ménage à trois, mirepoix, moire, nam pla, Navarre, noir, objet d'art, pa, pah, Panama, papa, par, Pará, Paraná, pas, pâté de foie gras, peau-de-soie, pietà, Pinot Noir, pooh-bah, poult-de-soie, pya, rah, registrar, Saar, Salazar, Sana'a, sang-froid, scar, schwa, Seychellois, shah, Shangri-La, shikar, ska, sol-fa, spa, star, Starr, Stranraer, ta, tahr, tar, tartare, tata, tra-la, tsar, Twa, Villa, voilà, waratah, yah
verb (spars, sparring, sparred)[no object]
- Truly, though, Shen liked to spar in the training room.
- Later that evening she stood before her father, prepared to spar in the training hall.
- He's introduced on stage, where amidst the dancers he stands at the end of a row, sparring with a punching bag.
- By the numbers - doctors, province spar over figures
nounBack to top
Old English sperran, spyrran 'strike out', of unknown origin; compare with Old Norse sperrask 'kick out'.
- 1sparry adjective
- Example sentences
- Polygonal septarian cracks are filled with sparry calcite cements or micrite matrix.
- Gaps between the marcasite crystals are filled with coarse, sparry calcite.
- The sparry calcite is interpreted as a single phase of precipitation that infilled external moulds of the arthropod.
Late 16th century: from Middle Low German; related to Old English spærstān 'gypsum'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.